A society of priests known as the Priests of Saint-Sulpice, or Sulpicians, had come from France in 1657. They played a major role in the founding of Ville Marie and in consolidating their roles as both pastors and lords and proprietors of the island. They were in charge of the parish of Notre Dame, which welcomed the family of Marguerite when they moved from Varennes.
One of them, Father du Lescöat became Marguerite’s spiritual director and suggested that she join the Confraternity of the Holy Family.
Later, Father Louis Normant du Faradon succeeded him and would support the little group surrounding Marguerite through its difficulties. It was he who drafted the Original Commitment, the founding text directing them towards a radical involvement.
After the fire in 1745 and during three successive moves, the Sulpicians were the providers for this establishment of eighteen people. In 1747, they took the initiative with the colony’s authorities to have the directorship of the General Hospital of Montreal conferred upon Marguerite d'Youville.